Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Project Happy - Dev Diary 7

Well better late than never.
Missed two Sundays. Not so good.
Well I ended up getting pretty sick and then I got a bit stuck with the game.
BUT! I have taken the rest of this week off so I will be working on the game a lot this week which is indeed very needed if I still want the game to be finished around the 12th of June.

So my last task was to make the game run well on Android and I have definitely managed that.
I ended up stripping off a lot of the cool effects and scaling back on some of the models and textures. I found out that the terrain was causing a very high poly count and so was the water. The fade out effect of the trees when you go behind them also seemed to cause the fps to drop dramatically.
What remains that is really expensive rendering wise is the drop shadows and the light cookie (the effect of light coming through tree branches. I think I'll end up with no shadows. This is a shame, but the game still looks OK as long as the light cookie is there.

Other than all the optimization stuff I:

  • Implemented the Triceratops.
  • Setup a start menu, pause menu and game over menu.
  • Made some better UI textures.
  • Implemented a point counter.
  • Made sand textures for the terrain.
  • Made a temporary sky box.
And here is how it is looking at the moment:

So I might have scaled back the graphics a bit too much, but I can always put stuff back in if I have the performance headroom.

So for the week I will have to be very productive if I'm going to finish this off soon:

  • Make a velociraptor.
  • Make tourists you can eat.
  • Make eggs you can collect.
  • Make missing animations.
  • Make a real skybox.
  • Decide on a Final name
  • Finish all the UI.
  • Probably way more stuff
So if I manage all this in this week then I'll have next week to polish things off and implement Play Games services and in app billing.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it :P.

No comments:

Post a Comment