Monday, February 25, 2013

Catching Up

So it's been over a year since I did an update about books and movies and a lot has happened since, so lets get caught up.


Well Harry Dresden returned in Cold Days, this was yet another great read. I think this series is still going as strong as ever, though I really feel more and more that you get the story in too small chunks, I wouldn't mind waiting two years for the next installment and getting twice as big a book.


The Wheel of Time came to an end with A Memory of Light. I can't say enough good things of Brandon Sanderson's work finishing this series. It's almost impossible to end a big series like this without letting people down. It's very difficult not to have very high expectations, but I think that they managed to go out with a bang. I think it's impossible to tie everything up into a need bow that satisfies everyone and still surprises with something like this. I think it's much more realistic to deliver a huge dose of what people have loved about the series with a twist and I think that is what A Memory of Light did.
I have probably also gotten better at not having too high expectations. I remember being very disappointed with the last Harry Potter book, the last Codex Alera book and even the last The Sword of Truth book, though my expectations for that weren't all that high to begin with.



With regards to TV-Series Game of Thrones is still running strong and it will be exciting to see the third season soon.
A couple of other new series started up that I though would be interesting; Arrow, was a bit interesting, but it didn't take many episodes to realise that, that was a waste of time. Revolution seemed promising, but the characters were thoroughly uninteresting. Last Resort had an awesome pilot, but should probably just have been a movie. Alcatraz was a huge disappointment as well.
Fringe has ended, but I haven't watched the last episodes yet. Fringe has been the best supernatural show on TV for years in my opinion and has generally kept a very high standard, so I look forward to seeing the conclusion when I find the time.


With regards to movies there have been so many since I wrote last. I think I'll keep it to the really big things I enjoyed.


The Avengers. I've been a huge fan of Josh Whedon ever since I saw Firefly and seeing what he was able to do with the Marvel universe was awe inspiring.


The Dark Knight Rises. Great movie and managed to tie up the trilogy nicely, it was however not quite as good as the second one, and it did seem a bit rushed and half baked in a few places which was suprising.


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. As you might imagine I have read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings and I've watched the movie adaptions of the latter countless times. I was very dissapointed the first time I saw the Fellowship of the Ring. I thought it strayed away from the book way too much and the book was very clear in my mind. I was also younger and in general had way too high expectations. This time around I had way more realistic expectations and on purpose I did not reread the Hobbit before seing the movie. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just had fun with it, and the things that are in the movie that are not in the book was actually very interesting too, as it is things taken from the Lord of the Ring apendencies. It's great to see good fantasy on the big screen again and it's awesome to have the next two movies to look forward to.

Well that's it for catching up, I think I'll end the post here, before it get's any longer. I'll probably do a post about what to look forward to in 2013 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment