Sunday, January 15, 2017

Jousting in Virtual Reality - Week 2

Another busy week, I didn't work on the game as much as I had hoped, but I still get quite a bit done on the design. Get ready for lots of pictures.

I Started out with some helmet designs, thinking that that would be where most of the personality of the character would come from.


I then tried for some full armour, I ended up going simpler and simpler, thinking that you start out as a poor knight with crappy armour before working your way up.
 Tried with some horse armour... I don't like drawing horses.
 Ugly squire
 Overview for the first tilt-yard.

A quick sketch of the first tilt-yard.

Concept for the stands.

I then made a simple box version of the tilt-yard in Unity and grabbed a screenshot.

I then did this final concept of the tilt-yard on top of it.

So there you have it, I wish I'd gotten a bit more done, especially a full concept of the knight could have been cool. I did not do as much work this week as last. I had to force myself quite a bit to sit down and draw instead of just working on the game or starting with the modelling. But I'm happy I did this.

A few things I didn't get around to, I didn't do a design for a second level as I had initially planned, from what I'm learning along the way I think it will take too long to make two levels for now. If I feel differently later on I will have to revisit it.
I also didn't design any audience. I'm pretty sure at this point that the audience will only ever be seen far away and will be some kind of sprites. So obviously they don't need a lot of detail, but they do need to be different. I haven't exactly planned out what to do about them yet, but I don't think I need to worry about full designs really.

So next week will be utterly insane as far as I can see. I'm supposed to model, texture and rig: The main character, the horse with armour. The stands, the tents, the trees, the landscape, the sky box. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment